Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Bewildering Thought

Does it ever suddenly occur to you that in 130 years from now not one single person alive right now will still be living on the planet? Even babies that just got born?

Does that slightly disturb you?

Imagine the silence - all of us gone. New models replacing us - ones that look sort of like us with some of our mannerisms, but none of us, us. Pictures of us, maybe, videos - but essentially an entire community wiped out. 

And there's not even anything armageddon about it - nothing apocalypse. Just nature. 

So mathematical, the finality. None of us here. And there's no arguing with it, though my brain so wants to. It keeps saying But but there's no Buts about it. It's absolute.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. The only word I can think of, if I really try, is bewildered. 

 

3 comments: