Saturday, January 14, 2012

I'm a Fucking Idiot

I'm really on a lucky streak.

Yesterday it was Mr Abdulla Zongo who told me I'd won fifty million dollars. Today it's the event manager Mr Michael Lannon who wants me to contact him to collect my 500 000 GBP which has randomly been awarded to me via email address sweep. 

Look, I know it's not true. I know this because I remember years ago going to work at the Keg after receiving an email like the one from Mr Lannon and secretly wondering - could it be true - and just letting it burn there for the day as I made crappy margaritas made from a terrible pre-made mix. I wondered - wow - have I been chosen? And I let myself believe it. It was a good feeling. Then I quietly asked the other barman in his tight black pants and cheap white shirt, "Hey I got this email today saying I'd won a lot of money. I got selected at random." And the guy laughed and said he thought he'd heard of something like that. And I immediately felt like an idiot. But for quite a few hours there I really did believe it could be true.

I do see a pattern - see Ann Mathias. I just really like to believe. It can lead to some embarrassing moments and even worse it can lead to me doing a really stupid thing like the other night I gave all my personal details to a site posing as paypal including all my top security questions and personal details, card numbers, etc - basically every little detail about my life. So now somebody out there could be taking on my persona, preparing to commit crimes for which I shall be imprisoned for. 

That one was bad. Mr Rabbit was mad. 

And I just felt like a fucking idiot. 


2 comments:

  1. Your willingness to trust, and to imagine wonderful things, is a positive thing. But you do need a skepticism filter to keep you out of trouble. Mr Rabbit can help. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete